Two kinds of positions are available at the CEFC:
1) Researcher positions funded by the French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs (MEAE)
Applications are usually due in November and are to be sent to the Ministry and to the Director of the CEFC. Applicants will then be interviewed, in Paris, by the Scientific Board (February-March). Researchers are appointed for a two year contract, renewable twice for one additional year. Openings are published on the website of the Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs (MEAE) on the Transparence portal.
- Director of CEFC, application closed
- Researcher, Director of CEFC Taipei branch, application closed
2) Researcher positions funded by the CNRS
These positions can be of different natures, as outlined by the InSHS. Openings are not advertised specifically, but are filled every year according to the guidelines set by the InSHS for each of the following categories. See the InSHS website.
- Posting of CNRS researchers to the CEFC: the application should be submitted to the InSHS in February-March, for a starting date in September. For more information, please click here
- Secondment from a university to the CNRS for a posting at the CEFC: secondments abroad follow the usual procedure, and are generally launched in December with a deadline in January and for a starting date set in September.
- Applicants must in both cases contact the Director of the CEFC prior to their application to receive a letter of support.
- Mobility project shorter than two years will not be accepted.
- Short-term mobility (3-9 months) to the CEFC for researchers in French institutions only
Information for the application will be available later.
Volontariat International en Administration
The CEFC employs two International Volunteers, in Hong Kong and Beijing. Openings are published on the Civiweb platform and circulated through the CEFC newsletter and website. Applicants must not contact the CEFC or risk nullifying their application. This scheme offers a one-year contracts, renewable for a second year. More information available on Civiweb.
- Scientific and administrative assistant, at the Sino-French Academic Centre of Tsinghua University.
- Editorial manager of China Perspectives, in charge of the website, at CEFC Hong Kong
There is no vacancies available at the moment.
PhD scholarships funded by the CEFC
- 6-month Mobility grants for doctoral research on contemporary China.
Application process : offer published in January, deadline for applications in March, selected applicants contacted in April.
Application Deadline: 29 March 2019
- 2-month Short-term fieldwork grants (2 positions) for doctoral research on contemporary China.
Application process : offer published in January, deadline for applications in March, selected applicants contacted in May.
Application Deadline: 29 March 2019
PhD scholarships funded by our partners
- MPhil and PhD in Chinese Studies at The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme
- “Hong Kong Studies Visiting Doctoral Students” Programme
- Stipends for fieldwork research offered by the EFEO to Masters students and PhD candidates
- Academia Sinica’s program for post-doctorate researchers: two yearly calls in February and August
- Academia Sinica Fellowships for Doctoral Candidates in the Humanities and Social Sciences: one year fellowship at an Institute of Academia Sinica: once a year application in January-February
- Taiwan fellowships: for academic staff, post-doctoral or doctoral students, 3 months to 1 year fellowships: one call a year in June
- European Association for China Studies: CCK Foundation Library Travel Grant 2018
- Institut national d’histoire de l’art: Aide à la mobilité « Recherche innovante en art contemporain » (application deadline: 31 December 2018)
- EURAXESS: Postdoctoral or early career researcher in urban political economy – specialisation in Hong Kong / Pearl River Delta (application deadline: 3 January 2019)
Funding opportunities offered by the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Hong Kong: Procore Program. More information on the website of the University Grants Committee or on the website of the French General Consulate in Hong Kong.
- Mainland China: Cai Yuanpei Program et Xu Guangqi Program
- Taiwan: Orchid Program
The CEFC Hong Kong and Taipei may occasionally host interns for two month (maximum) terms, excluding the summer months. Interns may work on the production of the journal China Perspectives and take part in most of the events organised by the CEFC. Professional command of English is required, command of French and Chinese is welcome. Unfortunately, the CEFC cannot pay its interns. Priority will be given to applicants already in Hong Kong or Taipei.
The CEFC Hong Kong is actively seeking for a well-organised and energetic intern to carry out translations of the tables of contents and abstracts of research articles published in China Perspectives (4 issues per year) from English or French into Chinese language. For more information, please click here
To intern at the CEFC in Hong Kong, please contact by email Henry Wu, with Joris Boutin in cc, with a resume and a cover letter, specifying your availability.
To intern at the CEFC in Taipei, please contact Sébastien Billioud, with a resume and a cover letter, specifying your availability.