Email : [email protected]
Assistant Professor, Wenzao Ursuline University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
– Foreign policy and health (Taiwan, China)
– Regionalism and Interregionalism (Asia-Europe)
– Asian and European official Development Aid (ODA)
– Health and Security
Grants_ 2013-2015_ NSC 102-2410-H-160 -017 -MY2 (Principal Investigator) – “Asia-Europe Health Interregionalism”
July 2014-August 2014 Visiting Researcher, United-Nations University-Comparative Regional Integration Studies (UNU-CRIS), Bruges, Belgium
July 2014 Invited Professor, Lille Catholic University. European Summer Program (ESP). Course: “European Integration”
Jan.2010-June 2013 Advisor on European Research Cooperation, Taiwan Health National Contact Point of the EU Framework Programme on Research and Innovation (FP7 / Horizon 2020).
Jan. 2009-July 2011 Advisor on European Affairs, International Office, Taipei Medical University (TMU). Coordinator of the weekly Global Health in Practice Forums at TMU.
Dec 2007-Dec 2009 Advisor to the Director of the Health Division of the Taipei Representative Office in the EU and in Belgium, Brussels.
2004-2006 Research fellow at the French Study Center on Contemporary China, (CEFC), Academia Sinica, Taiwan.
1999-2001 Volunteer of the French Catholic Delegation for Cooperation in a school for handicapped children and adults (St. Raphael Opportunity Center) in Tainan, Taiwan.
Education & Training
2004-2010 PhD in Political Science (International Relations), (Suma cum laude with the Congratulations of the Board of Examiners), Institute of Political Science, Paris, France (Sciences Po Paris). Title : “ Identity, security and societal dimensions of Taiwan’s foreign policy against infectious diseases (2000-2008) “
April 2007 Certificate of NGO administrator delivered by HUMACOOP, Grenoble, France.
2001-2002 Master Degree in International Relations, Institute of Political Science, Paris, France (Sciences Po Paris). Thesis : “The role of International NGOs fighting HIV/AIDS in China “
– “Regional Cooperation on Communicable Diseases Prevention and Control in East and Southeast Asia”, In P. Lim, Chen-Dong Tso (eds.). Transnational Issues and Regional Cooperation in the Asia-Pacific, Asia Foundation, Washington. Forthcoming october 2014.
– “Nature and Functions of Asia-Europe Interregional Response to Highly Pathogenic and (Re)-emerging Diseases“, In Hungdah Su (eds). Asia’s EU policies, National Taiwan University Press. Forthcoming october 2014. – « Global Health Diplomacy », in P. Chang (ed.), International Health, June 2012. (In Chinese).
– “HIV/AIDS in Taiwan : National and transnational responses of Taiwanese NGOs”, in: F. Eboko, F. Bourdier (eds.), Collective mobilization against HIV/AIDS in the world, IRD Press, Paris, March 2011, p.113-145 (in French).
Articles in academic journals
– “Framing epidemic as an issue of national security: The case of SARS and H5N1 in Taiwan”, Extrême Orient-Extrême Occident, forthcoming January 2014.
– “Is the European Union a global health actor? An analysis of its capacities, involvement and challenges”, (with Peter Chang), European Foreign Affairs Review, Vol.18, Issue 3, August 2013, pp.309-328.
– “Négocier l’accès à la santé au niveau mondial: Processus, concrétisation et défis de la diplomatie sanitaire mondiale“, Etudes Internationales, March 2013, pp.109-130.
– “Control and Elimination of Neglected Tropical Diseases by 2016: A Challenging Commitment for the WHO Western Pacific Region”, Health Diplomacy Monitor, December 2012, p.17-20.
– “Taiwan’s health diplomacy: time to move forward”, British Medical Journal [ Rapid Response to Ilona Kickbush’s article], 24 June 2011 (with P. Chang).
– “Transnational origin of a local response to HIV/AIDS in Henan Province”, China Perspectives, [Special Feature: Chinese Society confronted with HIV/AIDS], no.72, 2009, p.17-28.
– “ Taiwan-Europe une relation saine et constructive qui ne demande qu’à se développer. Entretien avec Kau Ying-Mao “, Monde Chinois, no.18, été 2009, p.100-106.
– “An alternative to better global health”, (with Pr. Peter Chang), World Medical Journal, Vol.54, No.3, 2008, p. 83-84.
– “New concept of security and management of epidemics in China “ (in French), Politique et Sociétés, (Canada), vol.25, no.2-3, 2006, p.69-103. – “Prevention and control of HIV/AIDS in Taiwan “ (in Chinese), Renlai, Esprit/Institut Ricci, December 2005, p. 58-63.
– “Taiwanese NGOs and HIV/AIDS: From the national to the transnational», China Perspectives, n.60, 2005, p.16-29.
– “Obstacles, dynamism and challenges for Taiwanese NGOs in the fight against HIV/Aids » (in French), Face à Face. Regards sur la santé, ADES, UMR CNRS Université Bordeaux II, N.7, June 2005, p.19-30.
– “A future for Taiwan’s new health diplomacy”, Taipei Times, 20 October 2011, p.8 (with P. Chang).
– “More room for Taiwan to join EU researches”, Taipei Times, 17 February 2011, p.8 (with P. Chang and P.C Yang).
– 張武修、羅文笙、陳美瑾，和魏司徒醫師(Leonce Verstuyft)談他1968至1971年擔任世界衛生組織駐台代表的經驗，2011，臺灣醫誌，54(11)。
– “A Short snapshot in a history spanned 38 years in between: Interview with Dr. L. Verstuyft, the Representative of the WHO in Taiwan from October 1968 to December 1971”, (with P. Chang), WHO AFSM Quarterly News, Geneva, n.77, July-September 2009.
– “Protect the right of People living with HIV/AIDS”, Taipei Times, 17 july 2006, p.4. Reports – Report on the “1st Research Exchange Workshop on Social Determinants of Migrants’ Health Across Asia and Europe”, Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF), November 2012, 39p.
– Chapters on “Health cooperatives” (p49-66), “HIV/AIDS situation” (p.67-81) and « Access to healthcare at the local level”(p.82-122) in : Ricci Institute of Taipei/ Sanofi Aventis, China : The Health of the Poorest People, September 2007, Taipei-Paris, 127 p. Book Reviews
– Susan Hunter, AIDS in Asia. A Continent in peril, Palgrave/MacMillan, 2005, 288p, in China Perspectives, no.96, July-august 2006, p.59-61.
– Evelyne Micollier (ed.), Sexual Cultures in East Asia: The Social Construction of Sexuality and Sexual Risk at a Time of AIDS, Routledge/Curzon, 2003, 279p., China Perspectives, no.94, April 2006, p.68.
– « Assessing the Human security dimension of Interregionalism. Asia-Europe cooperation against (Re)-emerging diseases » Paper presented at the International Conference on ‘Rethinking Human Security in the Asian Century’, 5-6 December 2013, Taichung, Taiwan.
– “Nature and Functions of Asia-EU Interregional Response to Pandemic Influenza”, Paper presented at the 2013 Asian Pacific Roundtable on the European Union Studies on ‘Foreign and EU Policies of Asia Pacific Countries in the Emerging New Regional Orders’, 29-30 January 2013, Hualien, Taiwan.
– “The EU as a global health actor”, Conference on “EU as a global actor” organized by the Taiwan EU Center, National Taiwan University, 7 December 2012, Taipei.
– “Is the European Union a Global Health Actor? Reviewing its involvement and influence in global health to better appreciate its challenges”, Paper presented at Taipei Medical University (TMU) Global Health Policy Workshop, 26 November 2012, Taipei.
– “Summary and main conclusions of the 1st Research Exchange Workshop on Social Determinants of Migrants’ Health across Asia and Europe”, as Special Rapporteur of the Asia Europe Foundation (ASEF)/ Casia Asia (Spain) Workshop on Social Determinants of Migrants’ Health across Asia and Europe, 8-9 March 2012, Barcelona.
– “Regional response to global health issues: The involvement of regional institutions in the fight against infectious diseases in Asia and Europe”, 5th Congress of the Asian Politics and International Studies Association (APISA5), Taichung, 24-25 november 2011.
– “Taiwan’s Foreign Policy and Infectious Diseases”, (in French), Monthly Seminars of the French Study Center on Contemporary China (CEFC), Academia Sinica, Taipei, 24February 2011.
– “Taiwan and the 7th EU Framework Program for Research (FP7): Experience and challenges in the health area”, Workshop on EU Research Programme and National Contact Points, European Commission, Brussels, 24 November 2010.
– “Dynamics, structural obstacles and transnationalization of Taiwan NGOs fighting HIV/AIDS”, Monthly Seminars of CEFC, Academia Sinica, Taipei, 7 January 2005.
– “European-Asian Cooperation in the new era“, Monthly Seminars of the CEFC, Academia Sinica, Taipei, 10December 2004.